About life insurance
- What is life insurance?
- Why do I need life insurance?
- What is level term life insurance?
- What is decreasing term life insurance?
- What is terminal illness cover?
- What is critical illness cover?
- What is serious illness cover?
- What are guaranteed premiums?
Choosing your life insurance
- How much life insurance do I need?
- How long should I take life insurance for?
- Which life insurance provider should I choose?
- What are the next steps?
Life insurance extras
- What does putting a policy in trust mean?
- I have life insurance through my employer - is that enough?
- Can life cover be increased at a later date?
Why do I need Life Insurance?
If you have a partner or family that depends on your income, you may need life insurance to make sure they can cope financially in the event of your death.
Points to consider
Could your partner or family afford to:
- Pay the mortgage or rent
- Buy food every week
- Pay the bills every month
- Keep the car running
If you die without life cover
Your death can lead to very serious financial implications for your partner if they are a house wife or husband. Their full time job, even though it's unpaid is to look after the children and family home.
If your partner died, who would look after the children while you were at work? You may have to reduce your working hours to spend time taking care of your family or even hire someone to do it for you which would increase the financial stresses.
How life insurance can help
In the event of a death, having life insurance cover in place can reduce all the financial stresses by getting cover to:
- Pay off your mortgage
- Protect your family's future
- Cover any outstanding debts - loans or credit cards
- Cover your funeral costs
- Pay for your children's education
Still not sure?
You can ask one of our life insurance experts a question directly - we'll try to answer it as quickly as we can, and if it's a really good one, we may even feature it on our website!
Got another question? Ask a life insurance expert!
If you can't find what you're looking for on our site you can ask us a question here or talk to us over the phone by calling 0800 524 4153 and we'll be happy to answer all your questions on life insurance.